Here is our newest bee hive. It is our version of the horizontal Langstroth hive I found here and here. We decided we like beekeeping but needed a better system that didn’t involve so much lifting. We looked at another idea which I will share in another post but decided this was the best for us. So when my grandson said he needed a project for his SAE project for Future Farmers, I saw my opportunity to make it. One of the really neat things about this one is that much of the material came from recycled materials we had saved. This one will hold up to 40 frames and has slats in it so you can check bees without distrubing all of the bees.
I also wanted something that would be pleasing to look at when a person drove by since our home is on a fairly busy road now. I thought it would fun to make the hive a piece of yard art. I hope to sell some hives. But this one will be kept for me. Enjoy the pictures.