Here is our newest bee hive. It is our version of the horizontal Langstroth hive I found here and here. We decided we like beekeeping but needed a better system that didn’t involve so much lifting. We looked at another idea which I will share in another post but decided this was the best for us. So when my grandson said he needed a project for his SAE project for Future Farmers, I saw my opportunity to make it. One of the really neat things about this one is that much of the material came from recycled materials we had saved. This one will hold up to 40 frames and has slats in it so you can check bees without distrubing all of the bees.
I also wanted something that would be pleasing to look at when a person drove by since our home is on a fairly busy road now. I thought it would fun to make the hive a piece of yard art. I hope to sell some hives. But this one will be kept for me. Enjoy the pictures.
I wanted to share a recipe my daughter-in-law came up with recently. It was a pleasant surprise for me. She didn’t know that I don’t like cooked cabbage and I wasn’t going to tell her. But this was great even for me. I went back for seconds. So here it is. The recipe as she wrote it.
Alfredo Bacon Sausage Cabbage Rolls
1 lb. Ground Mild Sausage -1 small head Cabbage-1/4 cup Bacon flavored Alfredo Sauce
What do you do when a hurricane knocks out your power for a couple of days and you are stuck at home dry, safe? If you are a crafer like me, you finish up projects. One project that really needed finishing was my camping kitchen.
I like to travel and camping. We are doing tent camping again and I showed my husband this. I wanted to be able to store my kitchen equipment in one convenient place neatly. Kinda grab and go idea. He was like, let’s make it! I am a smart woman and took advantage of his moment of weakness.
Here is the finished product. I stained it dark because it is going to be used outside and I didn’t want dirt to show too much. It isn’t perfect but it will certainly make a difference when camping in the future. It is packed ready for use. I am able to put everything I need in it for cooking and store it for whenever I need emergency cooking supplies. Plus we can just put it in our car if we have to leave in a disaster besides being ready for our next camping trip. (We were supposed to go camping this weekend but hurricane Matthew changed those plans too.)
We finally decided to harvest our flow hive. He was able to do it wearing shorts and without smoking or disturbing the bees at all. Amazing! Other than one bee who was determined to protect his hive and finally got a sting in on my husband’s forehead, it was uneventful. Uneventful but productive and satifying! As the pictures show, truly honey on tap. Much easier and neater to harvest than the traditional hive that we harvested earlier this summer.
Now on to start learning about what to do and setting up the hives for fall and winter. Not bad for the first year as beekeepers!
We decided to move them from the living room to the kitchen/dining room. Then we realized we could use the same pattern for the other window in the room. Plus I was able to make them with scraps I already had so it only cost me time (alot) and not money. Sweet!
We finally harvested honey from 1 of our 3 hives. It is a traditional hive and not the flow hive. This is 5 racks. To say we are happy is an understatement. We know we made mistakes along the way this year but what a learning experience it has been. I am going to let the pictures do the talking now.
Recently a Facebook group I am in had a post about this blanket. I liked the blanket but really loved the flowers so I thought I would share her with my fellow crocheters. She goes by Pinkfluffywarior and appears to be in the UK. Her patterns and pictures are great so check her out.